Simply Travel, Travel Simply!
Is travel in your summer plans? As fun as it can be, it can also be stressful. Here are some plan ahead organizing travel “tips and hacks” to replace the “STRESS” and change that word to EVENTFUL!
1. Scan your passport and any other important information and email it to yourself in case of theft or loss. Also, it’s a good idea to make a photocopy of your passport/ID and pack them separately.
2. Pack your suitcase for ease in viewing and retrieving. Start with the heavy stuff on the bottom. Wrap your shoes in a shower cap to keep the soles from resting on your items, and stuff those shoes to save room! Putting breakable items in a shoe or sock helps alleviate damage.
3. For your clothes there are two options. I use them both. Putting clothes in plastic bags allows you to keep similar items together and helps with wrinkling. You can also use this method to plan ahead for which day you want to wear something. Use an envelope on the inside, and write the day in pencil. That way you also have an envelope to use if you need one! Or…you can roll your clothes. This method also helps save space, reduces wrinkles and allows for better viewing without having to rummage through your stuff. Don’t forget a garbage bag for dirty clothes!
4. Is the gentleman traveling with dress clothes? Roll your belt and put it in the collar of a dress shirt to help keep its form.
5. Jewelry can easily get lost. Try to use a travel jewelry case/roll. Put necklaces in a compartment by themselves or wrap them in plastic wrap to avoid tangling. Don’t lose your studs! Attach them to a button for safety and easy viewing. Corral your rings on a chain, and MOST IMPORTANTLY…don’t pack anything of value.
6. Staying healthy on your trip is a must. Pack your vitamins in a pill organizer and/or use a pill box to pack and sort any remedy medications you may need. The last thing you want to do is go searching for a drug store in the middle of the night, in a strange town.
7. What a mess! Toiletries in high altitude can be a problem if not packed properly. Remove the lid on your liquids and place plastic wrap over the hole, then screw the cap back on. Have a spray bottle without a lid? A balloon on top is the trick. Help alleviate cracking by placing a cotton ball/pad over the cake of makeup. Just to be on the safe side…put them in a sealed plastic bag.
8. How many times have you been stuck with a hot flat iron because you had to use it at the last minute before packing? Fear no longer…kitchen
potholder to the
9. Cords, cords, and more cords! Can’t keep track? Use a labeled metal clip to tame the mess, and an eye glass case to contain them.
10. TRAVELING WITH A CHILD? A child’s job is to explore, but that can raise havoc on a plane. The key is keeping him/her entertained by planning ahead. Screens certainly help, but even that gets old. Here are some of my favorites:
Play dough in a ziplock. Add a few small cutters and a plastic knife. This is a great time to get creative with your child without the distractions of home. And we all know on a plane, with a kid…it is all about distraction!
Cheerios and a string for making a necklace…then eat! Fruit Loops make it that much more fun and tasty!
Use a small lunch box and fill it with all their favorite things: crayons, markers, stickers, paper, magnet toys, playing cards, etc. KEEP IT CONTAINED.
Wrapped presents…kids love them! For older children use lots of tape. It is more challenging and takes up time! Don’t forget to save a few for the flight home.
Reusable stickers are perfect for windows and tray tables.
Scotch tape and paperclips. What child doesn’t like to play with Scotch Tape? And colorful paperclips make fun jewelry.
Encourage your child to drink water or juice on take off and landing. Swallowing the liquid helps clear the ears, and the extra hydration can’t hurt.
Lollipops! Fun, tasty and sucking serves the same purpose as drinking. Chewy candy or fruit snacks are good options too.
Lastly, we tend to forget about ourselves. Pack an extra top for you. Spit up happens! Unfortunately, vomiting too. And when it does…you will be happy for the fresh shirt.
Okay… it is now time to plan that trip, organize for success, and ENJOY!